SICILIAN STYLE SWEET & SOUR PEPPERS
This recipe is a colorful addition to your summer antipasti platters. At Soul of Sicily cooking classes we serve this dish with an assortment of Italian cheeses, olives, salami and sun dried tomatoes.
1 kilo of long sweet peppers (red, green, yellow)
2 medium onions (sweet)
one spoon of peeled tomatoes
extra virgin olive oil (from Sicily!)
Sicilian sea salt
1 t white wine vinegar
½ t sugar
- Cut the peppers into strips that are 2 inches long and one inch wide. If you cut them too small they will cook too fast. Cut the onions into long thin slices.
- Cover bottom of a large pan with olive oil and at all once into the pan the peppers, onions, sea salt and tomatoes and a teaspoon or so of water.
- Cover with the lid and let it cook over a low-medium flame for about 20 minutes. Stir every 5 minutes while it cooks until it tender and cooked through. When the peppers are soft, they are done.
- At that moment, add some more olive oil to the pan along with ½ teaspoon of sugar and a little bit of white wine vinegar.
- Cover the pan and stir now and then over a medium flame. Cook for 2 minutes.
- Stir and stir again and then serve
For Fried Peppers, you would add sliced garlic cloves to the peppers when they are half cooked. You would not add the sugar or vinegar and you would cook the peppers until they are charred around the edges.